When I was working, some days, Jared and Jaden would have their dinner passed 9pm after their Kumon classes. We usually eat in neighbourhood restaurant and by the time we ordered our food and food was served, it was already passed 9pm. I felt guilty of them having dinner so late.
Now, I will try to cook on those days that they have Kumon classes. By the time they are home, dinner is ready.
For today, I decided to try this steam chicken with olive vegetable shared by Auntie Gertie. She bought me this bottle of olive vegetable and gave me the recipe below.
- Half a chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp of cuttlefish strips – optional
- 3 slices of ginger, shredded
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. of chopped spring onion
- 2 tsp of olive vegetable
- 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of light soya sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame oi
- Wash and towel dry chicken and arrange on a steaming plate
- Fry cuttlefish, if using, with 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry till brown and fragrant
- Add spring onion and olive vegetable
- Add oyster sauce, soya sauce and sesame oil
- Pour the above seasoning oil onto chicken and steam for 15-20 mins.
The same seasoning sauce can be used to cook noodles.
I cooked simple dinner with at least a meat. Still adjusting my life and I want to ensure this is sustainable and not frighten with cooking.
I thought I could have the last piece of chicken and Jaden asked “Can I have these (the balance of tofu and chicken) for lunch tomorrow?”. I am happy that they love my cooking and also happy that they can have home cooked food before their Kumon classes and not after 9pm.
By 8pm, dinner was done, dishes washed, garbage thrown, floor mopped and I’ve freshen up. Not an easy job but satisfying. Hope I can keep this going. Let’s see.