We had guest from China in our office few weeks ago. One of the items that she bought home as souvenir is our famous Bak Kut Teh herbal pack. I bought the following 3 different brands for her to try.
Today, I feel like cooking Bak Kut Teh for dinner as it is relatively easy to cook.
I bought the Bak Kut Teh packet (the middle in the above picture) and only use 1 packet of the herbal pack and reduced half of the ingredients, to as follows:
- 1.2 liter of water
- 4 whole garlic
- 1 tablespoon of black soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons of light soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
- pinch of salt to taste
- 1 packet of Bak Kut Teh herbal pack
- 1 kg of meats – pork rib, pork belly
- 10 mushroom
- Fuchok (bean curd skin)
- “Yau Cau Kwai”
- Rinse meat, remove fat
- Pour in water to a pot and wait for it to be fully boiled
- Add in garlic, black soya sauce, light soya sauce, oyster sauce, salt and a packet of Bak Kut Teh herbal pack (do not open the filter bag)
- Add in meat and use medium heat to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add in mushroom
- Simmer for another 1 hour until meat is fully cooked and tender
- Add pepper, fuchok and lettuce to boil before serving
Jared likes the smell of the Bak Kut Teh while it was simmering and requested for some to taste.
We had the Bak Kut Teh as dinner, together with steamed tofu.