One more week, 5 working days … This will be my last working week with my current employer.
After my resignation and announcement of resignation went out, all I wish for is a smooth transition from my current employer to new one.
The last working day with the company had been discussed and finalised. I do feel guilty for leaving the team but I was offered an opportunity that I do not want to pass up. I try not to think too much but rather, concentrate on making the final weeks pleasant and professional.
My replacement has been found and reported to work a week ago. FY and I are doing our handover now. At the same time, I’m trying to complete those projects that I’m currently working on.
The last time that I resigned from my job was 9 years ago. I almost forget how to resign from a job, except how my staff resigned on me. I used to advice my staff not to burn bridges and there is just no sense in making enemies.
Important rules when resigning from any job:
- Do not leave on bad terms. We should never burn any bridges but to act professionally and make a graceful departure from our employer. The World is so small and we never know when we’ll meet our former boss and colleagues again or a former employer through a merger or acquisition.
- Help current employer to find replacement and work with our replacement / successor for a smooth transition and handover.
- Do not disappears during the last weeks on the job. As long as we are still drawing salary from current employer, we still have to discharge our duties and responsibilities as a staff of the company. As such, stay as an active member of the team.
- Do not spend time bragging to colleagues about our great new opportunity … just in case you dont make it at the new place.
- Do our best to complete all open assignments and leave detailed notes for your colleagues.
- Do a thorough Housekeeping of office, notebook, etc. Do not under estimate the time required to perform these task.
- Clear personal files, remove personal software and information from computer.
- Remove belongings from office ie Photo frames, cards, etc
- Copy photos from office albums for memories keepsake
- Organise workspace.
- Complete resignation checklist and return company’s properties ie Office access cards and keys, notebook, medical card,etc
- Some nice, thoughtful colleagues will invite you for farewell meals. Those farewell meals will be more than expected (unless you’ve burnt the bridges during notice period) and would take up the time that you thought you could stay back to finish off work. I would recommend to combine some of the farewell meals, else the waistline will get bigger.
This last week at work will see more meetings and discussions and farewell lunches and dinners. This week is also Jared’s final term exam.
I’ve seen doctors twice over the last 2 weekends. First visit was for bone inflamation and the 2nd visit was for inner nose swelling. Guess my body is feeling the anxiety too.
Lastly, today I received a pre-boarding email from my future employer.